CASA volunteers are everyday people – teachers, business people, retirees, stay-at-home moms, and grandparents – who are committed to making a difference for children who might otherwise slip through the cracks in an overburdened foster care system. They are appointed by judges to guide one child or one set of siblings through the system to safe, permanent homes as quickly as possible. CASA volunteers research case records and speak to each person involved in a child’s life, including family members, teachers, doctors, lawyers, and social workers. They monitor the progress of the child and family throughout the case and advocate for the child’s current and future needs in court in school, and in agency meetings. Their independent evaluations allow the court to make better informed decisions.
Because CASAs serve on one case at a time, they truly get to know the child and can give each case the sustained, personal attention it deserves.
We invite you to join our family of volunteers and make a difference in a child’s life – and your own.
Atascosa County: 830-480-2557, Frio and La Salle Counties: 830-267-1025, Karnes and Wilson Counties: 830-321-9978
A CASA Volunteer must:
- Be 21 years of age or older.
- Successfully pass screening and background check requirements including NCIC fingerprints and CPS.
- Successfully complete initial training provided by the CASA of South Texas program.
(30 hours of initial training plus 3 hours of courtroom observation & 12 hours of continuing education)
- Be able to make a 1-year minimum commitment to a case.
(An average of 10-15 hours per month)
- Be able to keep information confidential and work within established program guidelines.
You cannot be a current foster parent or be in the process of adopting a child from Child Protective Services.
Please consider becoming a volunteer with CASA of South Texas.
To get started:
- Fill out an online application. Please note that once the application is started, you cannot save and continue later on – it must be finished in its entirety at that time for submission. The application takes about 15 minutes to fill it out, and you will need to have on hand email addresses for your three references.